While in NY, I kept my mouth shut for the first few years. During the monumental Red Sox win in 2004, I watched all the games by myself in my apartment, and then chatted with the owner of a coffee stand at work--he was the only other Red Sox fan I could find. (He asked if I was a Sox fan b/c I was carrying a BU folder one day--that was the start of a wonderful friendship.)
After a while, it started to fade away. I was still a Red Sox and a Celtics fan, but watching games gave way to reality tv, restaurants and board games. Now, being back in the city that LOVES its sports teams (whether they win or lose), it's all come back in a rush.
If you think it's odd that I often wake up to SportsCenter on ESPN, this is not the first time I've followed sports. Priya and I followed basketball when we were growing up--now most of those people are commentators or coaches. Additionally, we were obsessed with the WWF for the majority of our childhood years. (Truth be told, I just got Bret Hart's autobiography to read a few days ago). I think I've just "graduated" to "real" sports. Also, there is so much psychology to be found in sports teams--basketball especially. If you've studied group dynamics, try watching basketball from that point of view. Fascinating.
It's near impossible to not be a Boston fan when living in this city. The city embraces its teams, and it's infectious when all over the city you see...
Not to mention the fact that we can walk to the TD Garden from our apartment.
We've been fortunate enough to go to at least one game in each round of these Playoffs. (We'll be going to Game 3 of the NBA Finals--the first home game. Can't wait!) We also got to take Ani to a game...
I will admit, I'm a "postseason fan." When the regular basketball season starts up again, I won't follow it like crazy. In the fall, I'll turn my attention to baseball, though I don't follow it much now. I have a bracket set up for the World Cup, though I don't watch soccer. I like the excitement of the postseason, where every game counts. It brings back some of the excitement I used to feel when watching wrestling--only the drama is real this time. :-)
Tonight is the first night of the NBA Finals. So, starting tonight, Ash and I will be rooting in our apartment, in a local pub, or in the TD Garden itself for the Boston Celtics. Here's to hoping they add another banner to the rafters of the Garden.
Go Celtics!
No comments:
Post a Comment