I read this article in the New York Times, and was initially appalled at all of the testing and pressure on these kids. It's frightening to think about what some kids have to endure at such an early age. However, I must admit, I also felt a surge of pride. How come? Well, because someone has to teach these super smart kids once they get accepted into Hunter. If the selection criteria is so tough to attend the school, imagine the rigorous selection process to choose those who will teach them. So who is a full-time teacher at Hunter? My incredible little sister. And I could be the first to say (but I won't, because many others have said it before me)--she's absolutely amazing at what she does. So though all of the testing and pressure seems a bit excessive on these kids, I, in my ever-so-slightly-biased-and-super-proud-big-sister voice, can say that for the kids who do get accepted into Hunter-- she's well worth it.
But Priya--just so you know, when we (hopefully one day) have kids, you're teaching them for free. :-)
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh please - if I were to take this test I would flunk out! 98% percentile on an IQ test at the age of 5?? I think I was too busy ruining mom's makeup and then blaming it on you. So while I don't take any credit - my kids are freakin awesome..maybe I can make one of them make you your "bag counter" for extra credit. They may even be able to devise a formula that can calculate the predicted number of bags saved :-)
ReplyDelete