I love film and television award shows. Always have. We were driving back from Albany when the Golden Globes aired, so Ash and I finally settled down and watched them on our DVR last night. Though we already knew the winners, we wanted to see the speeches, but more than anything, we wanted to see Shahrukh Khan present on an American awards show. For anyone who grew up watching Bollywood movies, this was quite a moment! If you didn't, just to put it in perspective, he's probably one of the top three superstars in India, and has been for more than 15 years. For a US comparison, his status would put Tom Cruise to shame. He was recently named by Newsweek as one of the 50 most powerful people in the world. (Click here for the link--he was the only film star to make the list.) So, you can begin to grasp his popularity, influence, and the significance of the moment. I looked everywhere to try and find a (legal) link to Shahrukh Khan presenting Slumdog Millionaire, but I came up empty. So, below is a youtube link--though I don't know how long it will be active for...
Shahrukh Khan presenting at Golden Globe Awards
**If you haven't watched them yet and don't want to know who won, well, you must live under a rock. But in any case, stop reading now, as there are spoilers below.**
I had my favorite moments over the three hours (I probably missed a few, as we did a LOT of forwarding), so I wanted to insert a few video links for those who may have missed them. Though I loved Kate Winslet's second acceptance speech and Mickey Rourke getting the finger, I am going to bypass those, as otherwise I'd be pasting a ridiculous number of links. (The links are a bit moody--sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If they don't work, hit refresh and try again--one minute they work, the next, not so much. I am streaming them from hulu.com, so you can try that site as well.)
30 Rock won "Best TV Series- Comedy or Musical"-- obviously their speech is going to be hysterical. What this clip does not show, is that the announcer said Tina Fey would be the one to accept the award. Notice at the beginning she hands it to Tracy Morgan.
To follow that up, Tina Fey won "Best Actress- Comedy or Musical." She's always funny, and this was no exception.
Ricky Gervais always cracks me up. The fact that he brought his beer up on stage with him...that's just awesome.
Heath Ledger winning for "Best Supporting Actor" (The Dark Knight)--really needs no explanation.
Finally, the day the Golden Globe nominations were announced, I posted this. As much as I didn't think Slumdog Millionaire had a chance, I personally loved the film, and thought it deserved a win. Apparently I was not the only one who thought so-- I love when an underdog takes the prize.
With that being said, I think it's safe to say that Slumdog Millionaire is no longer the underdog. (I love this clip also because of Anil Kapoor jumping up and down--he played the game show host in the movie, and is probably one of the top 20 stars in "Bollywood.")
I'm now just waiting for the Oscars. :-)
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think I arrived here by accident?? Hmm, interesting that your labels are mostly all food related.
ReplyDeleteOh dear Lewis--I'm certain it was an "accident." Don't start trouble--I know where to find you... ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm merely trying to figure out all this "blog" stuff out. Kids these days... they play with the strangest toys.
ReplyDeleteLewis--lol
ReplyDelete