Friday, December 4, 2009

Goodbye Mr. Monk...


I've never actually felt like I was going to miss a TV character. A TV show, sure. I cried when Friends ended, and when Full House had its last curtain call. I certainly was going to miss the show, but I didn't think I would miss Ross, Rachel, or DJ Tanner.

This is different. Ash and I have watched Monk for a very long time, and it's something we look forward to watching every week. However, as I was watching the Monk marathon last weekend, I saw that USA was displaying text messages from viewers saying goodbye to Mr. Monk. Not the TV show, but Mr. Monk the character. At first I thought it was odd, but then I realized I am really going to miss Adrian Monk. The character, not the show. Some of the messages were from people with OCD claiming Mr. Monk was their hero, others proclaimed that it's amazing he never let a disease stand in his way. There were messages from people moved by his undying devotion to Trudy (his late wife), and others that offered him all the hand wipes he could ever want. :-) (If you've ever seen the show, you'd understand.) Logically, he's just a fictional character. I know that. And I'm sure all those people texting messages knew that as well. But it says something about the amazing writers and the incredible job Tony Shalhoub has done--I don't care that he's a fictional character. I'm going to miss him. And so are many others.

Tonight is truly the end of an amazing series--if you've never seen it, I'm sure it'll be in syndication--watch it. It's worth it. And you'll probably find yourself falling in love with Mr. Monk as well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment