Monday, September 22, 2008

"Birthday Hike"

It's an unwritten rule that when it's someone's birthday, you will do whatever they want to do. Now, it's also an unwritten rule that your birthday spans one day, not seven days like Vinny's. But hey, that's for another day.

Vinny's choice this year was a hike. A hike. I don't hike, nor do I pretend to hike. But, he's the newest member of our family, so I figured I'd play along. (Next year Vinny--I'm calling you crazy and hitting you upside the head.) Bear Mountain was the location of choice, and it was going to be a full family bonding experience. Now, I'm perfectly happy sitting in a lodge with a nice cup of coffee, waiting for the so-called hikers to return, so I planned to bring a book and hang out in the camper. (Yes, my parents brought the camper. Really, this should be no surprise.) Or, Woodbury Commons is just ten minutes away--score!

Then, right before we were going to leave, Vinny claimed that since this was his "birthday hike," everyone had to go. Umm...what? I think I must have misunderstood. Climb up rocks and dirt for four miles instead of sitting down with coffee and a book? I did not sign up for this. But again, "birthday hike" means Vinny is the boss, so I guess I'm hiking. Fine, I'll be a good sport.

It would have been nice if we stayed on the designated trail.

I have soreness in muscles I didn't even know existed. (Though I'll admit, a good time was had by all.) Vinny--on my birthday, we're getting manicures and pedicures. It will be a family bonding experience--go ahead and start thinking about your polish color.

No comments:

Post a Comment