Most people who know me know my love for Boston. It's where I went to college, and it's where I fell in love with so many things-- organizational psychology, food, the Celtics, and most importantly, my husband. We went back for one year when Ash was a hospitalist, and we fell in love with it all over again, and quickly decided it's where we'd like to call home. And after the terrible, senseless and tragic events of yesterday, I've never been more certain of a decision.
We quickly reached out to our loved ones in the area, and I was quickly reminded how many people we adore in that city. The coverage was difficult to watch, as Copley is one of my absolute favorite spots. We've been at that bomb site at least 200 times--it was surreal. I used to work a block away on Newbury Street--so it was a spot I frequented in college at least 3 times/week.
I've heard from others that Boston is a college town, which is true. But when Ash and I were there a few years ago, well past college age, we realized that it is a community. We loved that. There is a sense of belonging, and we always got a warm, fuzzy feeling when we'd approach the skyline from being out of town for the weekend. That feeling is what was getting me through yesterday. I know how tragedy pulls a town together--after all, I've lived in Manhattan for 10 years. I can only imagine how a city as tight as Boston has probably gotten even closer.
Watching the news just made me miss the city I love so much, and hold so dear. I would be lying if I didn't say I thought I'd be leaving all of this senselessness behind once we left Manhattan. Even Ash commented that he thought Boston would be the city that "would fly under the radar." However, it's not enough to keep us away. It's not even enough to make us think about staying away.
Boston, we adore you. Ever since we left a few years ago, part of our heart has always been with you, but yesterday, you held our entire hearts. We're excited to watch Sahana play in the North End fountains, visit the fantastic Saturday farmer's market, eat at Fanueil Hall, stroll down Newbury, and shop at Copley and Prudential. Three months from now, we can't wait to call you "home" once again.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I couldn't agree more! Well said!
ReplyDelete