Sunday, August 23, 2009

Our new "subway"

I never minded the subway in NYC. In fact, for someone who hates driving, the subway is actually quite wonderful. Though, anyone who has taken the "E" train far into Queens on a reverse commute has certainly seen their fair share of inappropriate things--so I had my moments of weakness. But on a regular day, I loved it!

Before moving to Charlestown, we were worried that the trip (though short) into Boston might make us lazy to venture into the city. Boy, were we wrong. We're in Boston for dinner more often than anywhere else. We LOVE taking public transportation into Boston. The view is incredible, and our spot in the navy yard is as peaceful as can be. (There are birds! And ducks! DUCKS!!) We've traded in a subway train for this....



(Don't get me started on the name "Rookie" for a boat. Doesn't really inspire a great deal of confidence. Luckily, I know I can swim, so it didn't deter me.) The ride is only about 10 minutes, though sometimes I wish it was much longer. Once in a while we'll walk to Boston (there is a bridge that takes you right into the North End), and every now and then we'll drive, but while the weather is nice, nothing beats the ferry. And it's only $1.70!! Every time I ride it I feel like I'm on vacation. Just to give you a benchmark, before it moves, this is how close Charlestown is to Boston...




If we walk the bridge, it takes about 20 minutes. Then, once it begins moving, instead of looking at the person across the subway car with his/her ipod on, our view is this:



It drops us off at Long Wharf, which is about a 1 minute walk from Fanueil Hall/ Quincy Market. We're relishing every moment of good weather we possibly can--it might be a different story when there is snow on the ground. However the ferry does run 365 days/year, and there is an indoor portion where you can sit or stand. Perhaps I'll ride it in the snow and take pictures. For now, we're certainly loving our decision to move to the Charlestown Navy Yard. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I took that ferry once! It WAS and excellent trip. And I always wondered about living in the navy yard. What a fun place.

    ReplyDelete